Port Quin lies between Port Isaac and Polzeath and is a magical near deserted cove with a rugged natural harbour. The picture of serenity on a peaceful summer's day, with clear, clam waters that are safe for swimming, Port Quin is nonetheless prone to savage storms during the winter months.
One of these storms is reputed to have wiped out the entire fishing fleet sometime in the nineteenth century, giving rise to Port Quin's eerie nickname - 'The village that died.' After the storm the women of the village were forced to abandon their homes, due to hardship.
During the medieval period, boats from Port Quin often sailed to Wales trading coal, manure, lead and building ashlar. The local economy was based primarily upon the pilchard season and fresh catches were placed in several large drying sheds in the village before being transported for sale.
In February 1700 the East Indian ship Thornton was wrecked at Port Quin. On the south-west side of the inlet is Doyden Point, on which is situated Doyden Castle, a castellated folly built about 1830 by a Samuel Symons.